Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Taking a Moment

12 January 2011

‘Thank you for the cross Lord,
Thank you for the price you paid.
Bearing all my sin and shame, in love you came,
And gave amazing grace.
Thank you for this love Lord,
Thank you for the nail-pierced hands.
Washed me in your cleansing flow, now all I know,
Your forgiveness and embrace.
Worthy is the Lamb, seated on the throne.
I crown you now with many crowns, you reign victorious!
High and lifted up, Jesus son of God.
The darling of heaven crucified, Worthy is the Lamb.’ - Hillsong



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR4CCLnmf1Q

The first time I heard this song, I wept. I was overwhelmed, and my hands were shaking uncontrollably. I felt so many emotions rushing through me – love, guilt, peace, sorrow, gratitude, despair, courage, pain. Amidst all of this, I felt the Holy Spirit embracing me, telling me that everything was going to be okay.

We all know what Jesus did for us. He died for us on the cross, in order to liberate us from our sins. But it wasn’t just a simple case of giving up His life, HE SUFFERED FOR OUR SINS in the most agonising way. I would think that a lot of us have watched the movie ‘Passion of the Christ.’ And needless to say, Jesus’ suffering is/was beyond perhaps anything that anyone of us would be capable of or willing to endure.

But wait! Didn’t Jesus’ story happen 2000 years ago? Aren’t times different now? We have so many pressing concerns, so many problems and sources of anxiety. There isn’t enough time in the day! We need to eat, to earn a living, to attend to our daily needs. I have to do well at my job! Surely, Jesus would understand that we have responsibilities, wouldn’t He? Time is of the essence, and we have very little of it.

All of us have our own personal circumstances. We might be a politician, businessman, CEO, housewife, student, celebrity, artist, investment banker, engineer, doctor, electrician, plumber, teacher, employee, etc. Or we might even be unemployed or underemployed. Some have it easier than others. But regardless of what we do, where we are, and the level of belief we have – we cannot deny what Jesus did for us. He died for each and every one of us – bar none. In one way or another at different levels, the story of Jesus has impacted on our lives. In our hearts, we have felt his love.

For many years I knew this truth. Sad to say, I always set it aside - for future reference. I spent the last 20 years building my career, expanding my business. At one point, I had almost 400 employees on my payroll. Nothing was more important than the business! And as the business expanded, more and more responsibility poured in. Add to this my passion for sports, and I really ended up having very little time for anything else.

But God had a plan for me. I was/have been a member of a community for the past 29 years. As I said in one of my former blogs, one of the biggest reasons why I never left my community (even when I had a choice) was because I KNEW deep in my heart that I would EVENTUALLY have to turn my life over to Him. I knew that Jesus suffered for our sins, for a reason. And I knew that one day, I would have to heed His call. This is also why throughout the past 29 years, I always found a way to do something for God albeit in very small amounts/doses. Many were fleeting gestures done on a day-to-day basis, and when I reflect on these, I realise how inadequate these actions were. But I also realise NOW how nothing we can do would ever go to waste! It may come sooner or later (better sooner!), but eventually, those small actions/deeds will come around with a vengeance. In my case, by God’s grace, after so many years, I have now totally and unequivocally dedicated my life to Him.

Take a moment. It could be just a few seconds or minutes each day. Take a PAUSE. We know what Jesus did for us. Our day would not be crippled if we took a few moments each day to do something for God. Think about Him, thank Him, or do whatever your heart leads you to do. Make sure to go to mass every Sunday. Go to confession. Make a small sacrifice in honor of what He did for us – each day. Do whatever you feel like doing – for Him, everyday.

And Jesus will smile upon you. It may happen today or tomorrow, or it may have already happened. And when you feel the radiance and warmth of God’s smile, you will end up wanting more and more and more. Jesus died on the cross for a reason – in order for each and every one of us to be with Him in paradise. Remember, that Jesus wants all of us with Him in Heaven. Take a moment each day, everyday. With God, nothing goes to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment