Monday, January 17, 2011

Living Ordinary Lives


17 January 2011

Over the years, I have heard about ‘The Documents of Vatican II.’ However, I never ever in my life thought that I would bother to read it. Aside from the fact that I felt that I would immediately fall asleep, I believed (without really looking at it) that it would be very intimidating or too difficult to comprehend. I felt it was only to be read by the erudite – not for me.
However, my curiosity got the better of me, so I checked it out. You can find the complete documents at http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/. If you go to the link, you will see all different kinds of Latin Titles such as Dei Verbum, Lumen Gentium, or Gaudium et Spes. Yes, I agree, it may in fact be daunting. And yes, some of the documents are very long. But there really is a wealth of knowledge that can be learned about our Catholic faith. And, it is not that bad a read.
In Lumen Gentium for instance, it says: For all their works, prayers and apostolic endeavors, their ordinary married and family life, their daily occupations, their physical and mental relaxation, if carried out in the Spirit, and even the hardships of life, if patiently borne—all these become spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.’
How awesome it is to realise that God is pleased with us in our daily sacrifices from our ordinary lives! God is happy with all of our efforts, all of our hardships, and EVERYTHING and ANYTHING we do, for as long as we offer it to Him.
Even the most mundane chores that we do on a daily basis, can be offered as a sacrifice to God. He is delighted with us when we engage in sports, when we work, when we take care of our children, when we read, or even play video games! Just as long as everything is done ‘carried out in the Spirit.’

If reading Lumen Gentium is not your cup of tea, try reading Ordinary Work, Extraordinary Grace: My Spiritual Journey in Opus Dei by Scott Hahn. It is an easy read and the author is engaging, sincere, and loves God intensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment