Friday, February 25, 2011

The Gift of Life


Growing up with just one brother, I was always envious of my cousins who had big families. 4, 5, 6 children - It was something that I would never have in my own family. Years later, I asked my parents why they only had 2 children. They told me that they were controlling after my brother was born. But even when they weren't, another child just never came.

When I met my girlfriend (the person I was destined to marry), even she had 5 other siblings! Because of these circumstances, I wanted to have a big family! 6 children at the very least! Unfortunately, my wife only wanted 2 kids. What an impasse! But after much discussion with my wife, we eventually agreed on having 4. 

Our third child was born almost 7 years ago and I have to say that my wife was very good at 'delaying' the conception of our 4th child. It came to the point that it started to cause some conflict between the two of us. But after arriving in Australia 2 years ago, I slowly began to realise that perhaps it would in fact be more practical to keep things the way they were. It seemed like my wife was right after all.  God has blessed me with three wonderful, loving, and healthy children. How could I complain? Perhaps God changed my mind on the matter on the number of children I desired, much to the delight of my wife. This issue, which was at one time a very sensitive one, was now finally closed.

But apparently, God had a different plan for us. Out of His mercy and love for us, He has seen it fit to entrust us with a 4th child. How great is our God! I thank Him and praise Him for the great gift of life. But what makes this blessing even sweeter is the realisation that as I surrender my life to God, He is now taking control of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment