Friday, February 18, 2011

How to Pray?

Yesterday in front of the Blessed Sacrament I prayed - that I may learn how to pray. It seems that the more I pray, the more I seem to get confused as to how it really is to pray, or how I should be praying. Since I was young, I was taught how to pray using ACTS - Adoration, Contrition, Thanksgiving, and Supplication. And I have used this method for many years successfully. But up until recently, it no longer seems to feel right, at least not entirely - and I can't explain why.

I am aware of verbal prayer, meditation, contemplation, and rapture - I have read about these types of prayers. Over the past 2 weeks, I have tried to learn how to just be quiet in His presence. I visualize myself clinging to Jesus's feet and telling him one thing - "Teach me how to love You, ABOVE ALL." And I also visualize myself bowing before Mama Mary and asking her to "Have pity on me." Doing this has brought me much consolation, but something still seems to be missing.  Perhaps it is just me and my inability to properly focus on God. Or maybe Satan is just using my weaknesses to make me feel as if things aren't working out. Whatever it is, I have to admit that it is causing me much anxiety. But I need to remain steadfast. I know in my heart that if I remain faithful, God will resolve everything for me.  Thank you, my Father. I look forward to the day that you will calm my restless spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment